Friday, March 18, 2005

Not Good Enough For Charity?

The other night I was flipping through sites in the Men Who Knit web ring, and I came across a site who had a posting a few days back about knitting for charity. I am currently knitting for The Dulaan Project (see sidebar), and this is the first time I've knit for charity. This person talked about a sock knitting charity with specific yarn and patterns to use. They (the charity) sounded very particular. In researching TDP, they have an "anything goes" policy as far as kinds of yarn and colors. This is a good thing, as in the small town where I live it's hard to get anything but acrylic or blends. In looking at some of the pictures of stuff sent in for the project so far, I have mixed emotions. The stuff is beautiful - can't believe some of it is being given away for charity. I am impressed by the beauty and craftsmanship - which makes me worry about my stuff. Is it good enough? Will they like it? Are they going to open the box for a peek and say, "What on earth was she thinking?" Etc, etc. I have been knitting for over 20 years but by no means claim to be an expert. Anyhow, this sock charity site stated that if it wasn't acceptable the donation would be sent back! Why not give it to the local Salvation Army or something if it wasn't "right" for the intended charity? (That was in essence what the blogger said, too.) I can see some specifics, like no itchy wool for burn victims, that sort of thing. But getting picky about the yarn and pattern used -- and returning stuff? Come on, your a charity for crying out loud! One of the commenters said that one charity organizer had actually asked for pictures of her stuff first to see if it was "suitable". She just went with a less particular charity. And as one of the other commenters stated, acrylic is machine washable and dryable so is preferable in some cases.

I'm sure my worries about my donations are unfounded. As I told one of the other ladies who posted a comment on Mossy Cottage Knits, the extreme conditions these people live in I think anything is better than nothing (she was concerned about using acrylic and blends). Besides, isn't it supposed to be the thought that counts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home