Friday, November 30, 2007

Swift

Finished up the kids mittens the other day so I could felt them along with my mittens and a diagonal bag. I used Patons Classic Wool in Leaf Green for the bag, Forest for my mittens, and leftovers of both plus Chestnut Brown for the kids mittens. They ended up fitting the Oldest One. They're a little tight to get on, but once they're on they're fine. They were too long for the Littlest One. (I think for him I'll follow the pattern except start the top shaping after 7" instead of 8" like the pattern says. For the Oldest One I think future pairs may require an extra couple of stitches or I may use 5.5mm needles instead of 5mm.)







This is actually the same color! Patons Classic Wool in Harvest. The one on the right is mine that I bought for felted mittens. The one on the left came with the yarn order this week. It's not just a difference in the way the skein is wound! The new one has BLACK in it, but the other one doesn't, it's dark brown. I took the new one to Knit Nite and showed Heddy. She's got the stuff from the same lot as mine and has been knitting a dog sweater with it. There's definitely no black in it!

One of the blogless knitters who comes to Knit Nite when she isn't working always brings her swift and winder. I have a winder, no swift. I really NEED a swift. Really I do. I NEED one. I wound two skeins of Briggs & Little Tuffy for work socks and seven skeins of Noro Sakura for my Sakura Cherry Blossom shawl. Woulda wound more but I didn't have anything else with me! (She will be there next week, so I'm taking three or four skeins of sock yarn to wind!)

Nova Knitter gave me two skeins of Briggs & Little Heritage that I can use for work socks.

And that's it for now! Working steadily on Christmas knitting. Running out of time!
Happy knitting!
PS Guess who's coming to the Metro Centre on January 26! I'd love to go. Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning, but I don't think I can afford it right now. I know there will never be any tickets left in two weeks time. :(

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna M said...

Christmas is coming swiftly. You had better drop some serious hints as swift as you can!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Felted mittens -- cool idea! And it bet they knitted up ... swiftly!!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Heddy said...

lexa, you have to start droping heaviy hints ... us the kids to relay the message if you have to !!

Start leaving websites open to the swifts, or (and this could be the one that works ... get out about 12 skeins of B&L, ask hime to "help" you wind the balls for a sweater ... whiel he's complaining, casually mention that a friend of yours has a thing called a swift, and it can hold the yarn while you wind it ... no need for help when your friend balls up her yarn.

If he doesn't "get the Hints", tell hubby to "swiften up"!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I love the toasty felted mittens - esp. the green topped ones! I just (on purpose)felted a few older pairs that were getting yucky - they are now just like new mittens for the boys!

10:50 AM  
Blogger lexa said...

I'm watching a couple of swifts on eBay. That's our home page when Explorer opens up, so maybe it will come across!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Ragan Knits etc... said...

Great mittens!!!
I love the green top ones. The bag is great too. Maybe Santa will bring you a swift if he visits? *wink wink*
Ooooo....
Ozzy in Nova Scotia. Wow. Bet the tickets are expensive...then you have to get a sitter...and and and...that must be why Hon and I do not go anywhere or do anything anymore. :-)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Ragan Knits etc... said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:57 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

Coulda got the Platinum Ticket where you get to meet Ozzy, get your picture taken with him, go to the pre-show party, get an autographed tour poster, t-shirt, etc, for only $1030.99/person! Yikes! The cheapest tickets were upper bowl for $77. I almost used the money I got from my parents for Christmas intended to buy my new winter coat and boots. Almost. Then I figured I probably wouldn't be able to replace that money and have no new coat and boots. So no Ozzy. :(

5:29 PM  
Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

Oh, these mitts are ever so beautiful - I can well imagine how perfectly cozy and warm they are, and I totally love the colours that you chose! Love the idea of felted mittens btw!
And that yarn - yummy and so perfect for work socks!

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home