Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentines Day & Truck Update

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Hope everyone who celebrates today has a good one. I don't do too much for Valentine's Day, but I did get the boys some chocolates and a few other candy. I also bought them KFC for supper. That doesn't happen very often. (I'm not a fan, I just like the burgers.)

I haven't talked to hubby since this morning, but it looked like he'd be back on the road late today or tomorrow at the latest. He didn't call last night, so this morning close to noon I called the office and asked if they had heard from him. (He couldn't believe he called the office before he called his wife!) Anyhoo, the guy I talked to said the truck was in the shop, it didn't look too bad, hubby and the other guy made it to where they were supposed to go. (Which I figured cuz I saw a debit from our bank account dated today that I didn't do. I can always track him by on-line banking and credit card usage.) A few minutes later my cell phone rang, and it was hubby. He said most of the damage can be fixed when he gets home. The mechanics were going to drain all the fluids and replace them. Since I didn't get any more calls I'm assuming the fluids checked fine. I'm sure if it looked like there was engine damage he would have called. He said there's no scratches on the paint, really weird, just the ripple in the side of the bunk. (Guess the snow on the ground helped cushion the fall.) He found my old 35mm camera and took some pictures, so once he's home I will develop the film and scan some pictures to post. I asked if he knew what the towing bill was, but he said not yet.

What I thought was going to happen was the other driver who came along was to deliver the load hubby had and then his own load. Now, apparently, since the truck will be good to go either now or tomorrow, hubby is continuing on to Whitehorse. There was a third driver from their company meeting up with them today. So now there should be a small convoy of three Classic trucks. My nerves won't rest til he's out of the mountains. It's supposed to snow there today and basically through the weekend. I'll be a wreck.

Speaking of bad weather, our storm is turning out to be mostly wind and rain. It started out like heavy flurries, then quickly changed to some freezing rain, then rain. We have a wind warning and a heavy rainfall warning.

I have my slippers almost finished. I am on the second sole of the second slipper. I will have them done and felted tomorrow night, so hopefully I will also have pictures. I have some leftover Briggs & Little and leftover Classic Wool. I picked up some more CW today to go with what I have, and I think I will make a pair of felted slippers in each yarn to take to the store. That way people can see what they look like in both wools. The CW felts much, much easier. There was a lady in the other day who used B&L. She made the ladies' medium, ran them through the hot wash cycle about five times, then boiled them in a pot on the store for over an hour, and they wouldn't shrink any more. They were down to about men's medium. (She used shades of brown, so she can gift them to some special guy.) She ended up buying CW to make herself another pair.

The seal has been visiting pretty much every day, sometimes bringing a friend. (I say friend -- they stay a fair distance apart.) They were both there today, and Tim took some picture but hasn't e-mailed them to me yet.

Well, I must get going. Got to do some dishes and get ready for bed. I'm quite relieved over the truck situation. I will feel better once he calls and says he's moving, and it will be even better once he calls and says he's in Edmonton and down out of the mountains! (He did say today that he's been seeing bison around. He said they're quite the site to see, huge!) Thought there for a minute I'd have to join one of the knit-from-your-stash KALs cuz I wouldn't have any money to buy yarn. I shouldn't say anything, cuz I still may have to!

Happy knitting!

PS -- Alyson has a contest on til Sunday night. Check it out.


Blogger Heddy said...

I'm glad to hear that things are working out for you re: the truck troubles (thank goodnes he wasn't hurt, and secondarily, that the truck is not seriously damaged -- it would be really hard to only work with your stash --more fun to buy new! LOL!

thanks for the tip r: the contest ... I had a peek, it looks like fun!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Sounds like things might work out ok with truck. That would be great! I agree with driving thru the Rocky mountains....they are gorgeous but terrifying. We will all be glad when he is back home safe and sound!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Thanks for the nice comment on my KAL socks! They were jinxed from the getgo but they're done. I love your slippers! And your mittens. Its funny what you said about Briggs and Little yarn felting. I tried to shrink a sweater I knit in B&L regal. I tried boiling water and pouring it on the sweater and all I managed to do was burn myself. Now I know it wasn't just me. Not too many people from around here knit in B&L but I spent a lot of time in Canada and came to know them. Next time I will try Classic wool.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Miss Tonia said...

I'm glad to hear that everything is ok, so far. Sounds like everything will be an easy fix, nothing outrageously expensive.

The weather here took a bad turn a couple of days ago. First it dropped about 4" of snow on us in 6 hours, then it started to sleet, and that turned to rain. We got to leave work early on Tuesday, and I couldn't go to work on Wednesday as the roads were too bad to drive on. And I just looked out the window here at work, and it's snowing, again.

Can't wait to see the slippers and pics of the seal, he's so cute. I just started the second sock of my Lorna's Laces in Irving park. Hope to finish them tonight or tomorrow.

Talk to you later.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home