Thursday, September 04, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Maybe for me, but someone wasn't happy. He did NOT want to go to school. Today was the first day of Big School for my Littlest One. He tried to escape from the bus stop several times. (It's across the road from the house next door.)

Teary-eyed escape attempt.
All was well when he saw the bus coming. He got right into the line up with the other kids. Last year there were three, sometimes four or five kids getting on at this stop. Today there were eleven or twelve!
The Oldest One in his Dale Jr shirt, first day of grade three for him. He was excited to get back to school. He's a social butterfly.
Poor Jewel. This is the face I had to look at once her boys were gone. She was not impressed til I came back from the school and produced her leash. Then she knew she was going for a walk!

I had wanted to take a picture of the Littlest One at his desk. I got to the school before the bus. He got off no problem, and I was trying to hide behind one of the brick posts. He was looking for me, though, and he spied me. Once we got inside the tears were on. He tried to escape through a side exit, but luckily they had it locked. When I left he was crying that he didn't want to stay, and his teacher was cuddling him. So no desk shot. The bus was 45 minutes late after school, which is normal for the first couple of days. He was happy when he got home and said he had a "great day". Now he says he isn't scared of school any more, he loves it, lots of fun, etc. This month is a staggered start. They changed the age of kids starting school -- as long as the kid turns five on or before December 31 they start school in September. The primary classes are divided into Group A and Group B. He is in Group B, so he doesn't go again til Monday. All the kids went today, they all go picture day, and they all go Terry Fox Run day. On September 29 they will all go every day.

I finished my pink baby set for the store. It's made with Patons Beehive Baby Sport in precious pink, one skein. It's my own personal pattern, classic feather and fan. Started August 28, finished September 3. I haven't made one of my sets in awhile, and it was nice it knit for a change. My "dead baby" as my co-worker, T, calls it, got to come out and model.

I knit "pearl" beads in the bottem hem and the bonnet edge.



Got another boy set started in the same yarn in blue bonnet. I will make a ribbed hat instead of a bonnet for this one. This one is eyelet V and will not be beaded.

Looks like a great weekend for knitting. I'm not bothering to head to the camper. It's supposed to start raining tomorrow afternoon, the remnants of Gustav passing through. Then Sunday Hannah is passing through, and we are to get heavy rains and strong winds. By the time they hit us they're usually downgraded to tropical storms. They can still cause a lot of damage, especially this time of year when the trees are still full of leaves. It's too bad because this weekend there is a woodsmen competition in town on the waterfront. The fire department is also supposed to be having their annual garden party, normally held in July but changed for some reason.
Happy knitting!

8 Comments:

Blogger Frieda said...

The baby set is just so cute; nice work ! Brings back memories of when my boys started school . There was always one of them who had a terrible time adjusting to school. They were both September babies and consequently the youngest in their classes . In hindsight I wish I'd kept them home a little longer ...

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember my kids first days of school so well. I didn't have any actually try to escape like your little one but my youngest certainly didn't remain at school the whole day during first grade! He was sick by noon and I had to go get him. I am happy to say he actually did eventually stay the whole day AND graduated from High school in 2007.

My dog looked that same way this year when I went back to work and my grown up kids started college classes again.

Enjoy those boys, they won't stay little for long!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Kiki said...

Aww love the pictures of the kids at school, breaks your heart to see them cry like that I bet.

The baby set is precious.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids are never thrilled on the 1st day of school - they like summer WAY too much!
That little baby doll looks adorable - such a cute set!

1:13 PM  
Blogger aija said...

My heart went out to your little one, trying to "escape" :) I know I'll be hardpressed sending mine off next year... oy.

I love the pink and pearls set-- my sister is expecting and I can't wait to get started baby knitting!!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Donna M said...

The boys look too cute going to school! Even the littlest one trying to escape!
Love the little baby set!

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the baby set! And the pearls are a such a cute touch. I never get to knit for little girls.

I remember my littlest one's first day. I was the one who teared up. She was happy to go. lol.

Gustav come through here on Thursday. It cleared out the hot heat. We are finally back to normal temps. Finally!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

The pearls are a really nice touch on that baby set.

I love first day of back to school. Freedom!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home