Saturday, January 29, 2005

Secret Pals 4 Questionnaire

One son is at his grandmother's for the night, the other went out early as he didn't nap this afternoon, and hubby is gone to watch a hockey game. Perfect time for me to the Secret Pals 4 questionnaire! So here goes:

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

No - I use acrylic for the baby sets I sell on eBay and my web site. I don't like "scratchy" acrylic and tend to stick to Bernat yarn. I live in a small town and am limited to one small yarn shop and another department-type store that sells mostly Bernat. Knit my first mohair scarf this month with yarn bought on eBay! I could see becoming a yarn snob for anything made for me personally! Other than that I am not overly fussy.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

No to both.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

No allergies, but I don't like smoke and no one is allowed to smoke in my house.

4. How long have you been knitting?

Probably 22ish years give or take. I started around age 8-10, I think.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

No.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

I love food-scented candles and tarts. Love Yankee Candle! Anything that isn't perfumey or flowery smelling. Love strawberry, apple, vanilla, latte, etc. Same with bath - no over-powering flowery/perfumey scents.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Unfortunately, yes.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

None really. Used to cross-stitch a lot, but it bothers my wrists too much now. Pretty much just knit.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I like 80s rock, some modern stuff but not rap/hip-hop, modern country. I was a Motley Crue/Aerosmith/Def Leppard/Bon Jovi/Ozzy kinds of music fan in school. Heavy metal but not too heavy (ex. Motorhead). I can play MP3s no problem.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?

I like dark, foresty green, greys, browns. Have a few red sweatshirts. Most of my knit sweaters seem to be earthy/browns. I don't like bright, really vivid colors (fuschia, bright yellows, and such). Mitts, gloves, socks, I don't mind being a little wild, though.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

husband, just-turned 2 year old boy and just-turned 5 year old boy, and my first "babies" 3 bobtail cats

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

Be debt-free (or close to it) and be able to take "early retirement" so I can stay at home with my boys. Want my boys to be happy, successful, productive, wonderful adults!

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Don't think I really have any favorites.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Nothing I've used so far that I totally dislike. Not crazy about boucle types, as I find it hard to tell sometimes if I missed/dropped a stitch. I will use them, but I like stuff I don't have to be constantly looking at as I knit. I like to watch TV or knit in the truck, so I don't like having to continually look at what I'm doing.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Designing and knitting my own baby set designs (makes me some money to buy more yarn!). Kind of into accessories right now (scarves, socks, hats, etc.)

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Smaller items like the baby sets, socks, scarves, etc., that knit up quickly and don't require much sewing. I hate sewing up! But ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

17. What are you knitting right now?

baby blanket as per customer's order, also house socks for myself

18. What do you think about ponchos?

My grandmother knit me one when I was a kid! Picture of me somewhere in it. I personally would probably not wear one. I would knit one if someone wanted one or asked me to.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

straight - only use circulars when required

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Only own aluminum and plastic, plain old grey. Never tried bamboo or fancy colorful needles.

21. Are you a sock knitter?

I don't knit a lot of socks, but I do knit them. I have some Bernat Sox yarn in Hippie to make a pair for myself after the house socks are done. Never tried the self-striping sock yarn, but it is on my list to try.

22. How did you learn to knit?

Funny story -- When we were kids one of my best friends came over one day and had needles and yarn. Someone, I forget who, had taught her to knit. I didn't have anything to use. My mother does not knit. Anyways, my grandmother was down, and I had taken two pieces of wooden dowels out of a basket I had and sharpened the ends to points. The other ends had wooden beads on them. It was summer, and Kelly and I sat out on the front doorstep, and she showed me how to knit. My grandmother watched as I sat there with my crappy, hard to use, home-made wooden needles and felt sorry for me. So a few days later in the mail arrived a box for me with pink yarn, purple yarn, and a set of needles (which I still have and will never part with, even though I don't use them and one is in quite rough shape). That was how it all started. I would classify myself as "self-taught". I pretty much figured everything out on my own, but some people did help out when I needed it along the way. I still need help with some things - I don't claim to be expert!

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

Sweater I started for myself on a camping trip summer 2004.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

Love animals in general, especially cats. Scary to say, but Spongebob is kind of cool (hey, my kids watch it!).

25. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Not really. The boys pretty much take over everything. I am afraid that they might break anything too fragile (boys are boys after all). I guess you could say that I collect yarn and patterns, although right now I mostly have just baby yarns. I am a huge Star Wars fan and have all the movies (can't wait til May to see Episode 3!) original and special edition boxed sets as well as the DVD set I got for Christmas, and a ton of Star Wars books.


So there you have it. In general, Secret Pal, I am not a fussy person. I don't get many "surprise" gifts. I pretty much pick out my own gifts at holidays and tend to guess whatever Travis ends up picking up for me on his own. I'm really looking forward to this! Real surprises! I'm so excited!

Must get back to the baby blanket. CBC is showing Return of the Jedi tonight at 10. Don't know why I insist on watching it, but I will -- I have three copies of it I can watch whenever I want to!

Happy knitting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home