Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Active Day For Firemen

See this:



It's an active day today for our fire department. They have a forest fire in Port Mouton that they are still battling. They were stopping for the night, but it has flared back up and is blowing ash towards houses. Also early this afternoon at the same time this was going on, there was a chimney fire on Birch Ave. That ended up being a house fire. I haven't heard anything on how bad that was. Travis will be home tomorrow sometime. Guess he knows where he'll be a lot of his time home this weekend - out at this forest fire! Four helicopters were at this fire today. At 7pm I heard a helicopter coming my way. I looked out and saw them coming, two of them. I could see one had the water basket thing hanging underneath it. Anyways, it flew directly over my house, low enough to make my windows rattle. It would have been an awesome picture! They are staying at the local inn for the night (my former place of employment - mother-in-law still is there).

Besides the fires happening everywhere, it was a beautiful day today. (All three counties on the South Shore had numerous calls today for grass fires.) It was +14Celsius and sun, sun, sun! Tomorrow is going to be the same. The boys and I have been spending a lot of time outside.

I finished one of my striped socks tonight. I am sorta making the pattern up as I go. I think I need to tweak it a bit more before I post it as a free pattern. It's a little loose, at least in the leg. I don't mind loose socks - I always used to love slouch socks. I think I will pick up some more of the same yarn in a different colorway and go down a needle size. That may help instead of changing the number of stitches. The heel, gusset decreases, and toe worked out fine in that respect, so I don't really want to mess too much with it! I want to try to finish the other one by the weekend and get back to work on the Sockapalooza socks. The only thing done on those so far is the ribbing of the first sock, but I picked up another set of 2.25mm needles. Now I can hop to it! Running out of time! May 2 is fast approaching!

*The photos above of the fire were taken by a friend of mine, Stephen Nickerson. I copied them from the Queens County Times to my site, as the Times doesn't archive. I don't think he'd mind as long as he gets his credit!

Happy knitting!

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I noticed a headline in an article in our local paper that is always there discussing the weather. It was saying that the time is coming very soon when forest fires will become a danger because of the temperatures we have been getting. I didn't stop to read it, but I thought that it seems early this year for the threat of the fires. I guess it must have something to do with the type of winter we've had...hopefully they'll get the one in your area put out soon!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Donna M said...

Thanks for putting this on your site. It is a pain when Mary doesn't archive and you miss the news!
I hope there were no injuries to the firefighters. Such a difficult job and ours are all volunteers!
Good luck with the socks!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home