Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Five Fruits Dilemma

Last Saturday we got a snowstorm. I had to work, and it was one of the longest days I ever put in at work in my life. Hardly anyone around, we shouldn't even have been open. I don't make much, and I didn't even sell enough to cover my wages. Anyhoo, Jewel likes the snow.

And I brought home this. The stuff to make Five Fruits for my nephew. I decided to make him the middle size, 12 months. He's only 4 months old, and I wanted to give this to him for Easter in hopes that it will fit him this fall.

It's a really cheerful knit. I like the bright colors, makes for interesting knitting with the color changes. I like the top down construction. There isn't even any grafting under the arms, just some sewing on the bottom hem. I've run into a problem, though. See, I have this aversion to swatching. I don't do it. Well, maybe two or three times ever. Anyways...

I finished the body of the sweater, the whole time thinking, "Gee, this looks big." I measured it, and it's more like 18 months. Sooooo.... here's my dilemma. I will continue to knit this sweater, but should I give it to nephew or make another smaller one? I think I'll end up making another one for nephew. I wanted it to fit him this fall, not fall of 2009. Next time I'll make the smaller size and go down from 4.5mm needles to 4mm needles. It really is quite cute.

In an effort to get the nephew's sweater finished for Easter, I'll probably start his before I finish this one. I did tell his mother I was making him a sweater for Easter but that it might not be finished in time. Doesn't really matter since it will be too big regardless. I also started some socks for myself, plain vanilla in self striping Fabel sock yarn on Saturday. I'd like to finish them this week, too. And work more on my sweater.... Oy!
Happy knitting!

6 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

That sounds like knitting stress! The sweater really is quite cute. I like strong colors on little ones.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Sorry to hear about the gauge! The sweater really is sweet, though! :0)

9:23 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Its a very cute sweater!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Marti said...

That's the nice thing about knitting for babies...if it's too big, it'll fit eventually.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Frieda said...

The sweater is adorable. I like bright colours for babies as well . If you decide to knit a smaller one for the nephew you could possibly donate this one to a charity/church/school/ fundraiser or even sell it at the store . There's bound to be someone who would love it and a baby that it will fit.

2:07 PM  
Blogger aija said...

I love the colors! I am not versed enough in sweaters for advice, but I just love how bright that is :)

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home