Monday, March 10, 2008

Whiskers W, Approx 1992/3-March 10, 2008

So I had the unpleasant job of taking my mother and her cat to the vet this morning. She doesn't drive, and she would have been too upset to drive anyways. (Not that I was much better.) He definitely had kidney failure. I had to keep the cat carrier outside for now, it reeks that bad. The poor thing totally stank to high heavens, and the vet took one whiff and was like, "Yes, definitely kidney failure." It was that infection/poison/gonna-make-you-sick smell. I can't find a digital picture of the poor old guy, will try to scan a copy of a 35mm print of him. I hope when they go to heaven they lose the urge to fight -- he was a scrapper, didn't like other cats or dogs. I'm sure they're all mellow in the flowers beyond the Pearly Gates.

Not quite sure how long they've had him, but it's kinda funny how he came to be their cat. He belonged to the neighbors directly across the street. Before that he belonged to the lady's nephew (who still stops by to see him sometimes, he'll be sad to hear he's gone). Can't remember why the nephew parted with him. Anyways, Whiskers used to visit the neighborhood houses. He'd just walk in, make himself at home for awhile, then leave. His owners split up, and the lady moved in with someone else outside of town, leaving Whiskers and the other cat with her ex. Then the ex got a girlfriend, and he sold his house and moved away. By that time Whiskers had moved in with my parents. (Apparently the ex didn't like the cats, and he wouldn't let them inside. I think his daughter used to let the other one in, that one belonged to her, but Whiskers found a comfy waterbed and good grub across the street.) He never would have gotten Whiskers back anyways since he'd moved in well over a year before. The other cat wasn't too friendly, very skittish, and I think the SPCA got her. She wandered the neighborhood til someone reported her as an abandoned cat since winter was approaching. I mean the guy knew that Whiskers had become my parents' cat, but the other one... just left her! She wouldn't come near the house or else my parents would have taken her in, too.

I did promise knitting content next post, so here goes. I started a pair of socks for the Littlest One out of Regia Mini Ringel #5219.

I also finished the baby set I mentioned. It's my own design, Little and Large Diamonds. Hard to get good photos. One day it's nice out I'll take her outside and try to get some better pictures. Too cold today. Started February 22, finished March 9. Worked on this off-and-on. Knit with Sirdar Denim Tweed DK, and pretty accurate to the true color. The set is a little big on her. If I remember correctly she's 21 inches long and just under 5 lbs. This yarn was a bit heavier than what I usually use for baby sets, so I went down a bit in needle size. Still came out a tad bigger.
Just a basic 2x2 ribbed hat. I also make a bonnet that has the same diamond pattern, but I wanted this to work for a boy as well.

Closer look at the diamond pattern. I have two skeins of this yarn is a slightly lighter color and plan on making another set of mine, different pattern next time. I used to have a web site where I sold baby sets, but I think I closed it. Used to sell them on eBay, too. I've been thinking about opening an Etsy shop and listing some, but I've not decided for sure yet.

So that's about it. I found another contest. Mari is giving away some Malabrigo. Oh, and I finally got to see No Country For Old Men. Hole-ee-cow! Awesome! Javier Bardem was sooooo good, no wonder he won the Oscar, he definitely deserved it. I'm sure he's one of the nicest men in the world, but I'm telling you, if I ever met up with him in a dark alley with that terrible hairdo I'd pass out with fear! He played the psychopath killer perfectly, couldn't have gotten anyone better. (Interesting tidbit -- his birthday is the same as mine, March 1, but he's a few years older.) And I loves me some Tommy Lee Jones, and Josh Brolin is quite the looker (man, does he ever look like his dad in this film!), but Javier was definitely the star of the movie. I so love the Coen Brothers. Fargo was an excellent movie, and I rank this one right up there with that. Next movie I'm watching is The Bucket List. I love Jack!

Happy knitting!

5 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's Whiskers. His circumstances are so much like my Charlie's were - from how we got him to how he left us. I hope they are both up there, having fun and telling each other about us.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Donna M said...

Sorry to hear about losing your mom's cat. It is all very sad.
Interesting story about how they came to get him though.
The baby set is sweet!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Ragan Knits etc... said...

Oh no!!! That is very sad news. Poor Whiskers. :o(

The baby set is lovely (wonderful diamond design). And, your socks are great too with perfect stripes.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Marti said...

Very sorry to hear about the cat. It's a shame.

I just finished my Mini Ringel's the other day.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Frieda said...

So sorry about Whiskers , so sad . He knew a good thing when he came across it . Both of our cats came to us as strays . I don't regret it for a minute , except for the vacuuming . :)) . Love your baby set and the socks. I seem to be in the mood for baby knits too these days.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home