Friday, February 11, 2011


Still no computer back yet, so this is a pictureless post cuz I'm not working today to be able to transfer my pictures. I did get an e-mail saying my computer was shipped, so hopefully maybe it'll arrive today. With the luck I've got, though, I won't hold my breath. (This junky old computer won't transfer pictures any more from my camera.)

So yesterday the kids go to school, and I go to the grocery stores. I usually like to do one and then the other one the next day, but since the kids had no school on Wednesday and messed up my schedule I did both stores yesterday morning. I drive from one across the road to the other, and I notice a strange smell in my car, like a burning smell. So I look all around, don't see anything, go in and get my stuff and hope the car doesn't burst into flames while I'm inside. (Got fire insurance, I just didn't want to lose $100 worth of groceries!) So I decide to stop at the garage on my way home, it's right in town. I'm almost there, and the smell is getting strong again. It's only like a 30 second drive from the grocery store. I ask him to take a whiff, he says it smells like wires burning. He thought maybe it was the heater resistor since there was no sign of smoke or anything, and I guess that sometimes happens. So he says he can look at it tomorrow, but as I was waiting for traffic to pass so I could pull out I look down, and there's smoke coming out all around my feet. I turn the car off and go get him again. So the car got left there, and I had to call Pa to come get me and my groceries.

Pa calls this morning and says I should call insurance cuz the whole wiring harness is going to have to be replaced. Whatever it was started in the back and arced to the front of the car. Good thing: I only have a $100 deductible. Bad thing 1: My insurance policy doesn't allow for a rental car. Bad thing 2: Since the car is an older car (2000 Ford Focus wagon) there's the possibility that when the insurance guy looks at it, the repair may be close to or as much or more than what the car is worth, and it may be written off. I did want a newer vehicle, but not until this summer.

So the adjustor won't even probably look at it til next week, I tried to get the insurance guy I talked to this morning to put a rush on it since I have no other transportation. Pa only has one vehicle now, so I can't borrow one from him. I don't mind walking (unless it's raining and windy), and if I need groceries or water jugs filled or anything Pa will take me. It's just really inconvenient to not be able to jump into your car and go if you want. The boys have a curling game Sunday in a town 1/2 drive away. Luckily two of the other mothers that are going have room for us.

So I guess I really can't complain about my little car. I didn't pay a lot for her, and I've had her for almost a year-and-a-half now. I definitely got my money's worth out of her, that's for sure. It's an older car, it's got a lot of kilometres on it, stuff happens. It just sucks when it hits crappy times to do these things!

I did get the Valentine Socks finished for the boys' school raffle draw. I only finished them up last night, so it was good timing since the draw was today! I started a pair of socks for the Littlest One, and I think I'm going to work on some mittens, too. Pictures to follow next post.

Happy knitting!

PS Just got a call from work -- my computer is there! Yay! One of they guys is so graciously going to drop it off for me on his way home. :)


Blogger Donna M said...

Sorry to hear about your car! You're so lucky it didn't burst into flames with you in it!

Glad to hear your computer is back. It appears John's may have died :((

7:07 PM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

Sorry to hear about the wagon. My is holding on, but I know I'm running on borrowed time with her - just too many km on the odometre.
But you got your computer back!

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home