Monday, May 28, 2007

Summer for a Day

We had summer for a day on Saturday. It was hot. I was off the weekend, so we broke out the Spongebob waterslide the boys got for Easter. The Littlest One did more running through it than sliding. (Although he did kinda drop on his knees and slide on his feet and lower legs. Then in the evening he cried that his ankles hurt. He insisted on using the sprinkler the next time.)

Summer only lasted for a day. The next day was too cool for waterslides and sprinklers. Today was rainy and miserable.
I did finish a FO that isn't a pair of socks, and I got to practice mattress stitch. (Now that I can do it the right way, thanks to Lucy Neatby and the workshop I took with her! Look -- I even used scrap yarn instead of stitch holders like she does! It was easier to put together like that, too.)

Then the completed and modelled shots. It's a little big, but I wanted some oomfph cuz usually when I make him a sweater he outgrows it in a month. I also figured on this being used a lot this summer in the evenings at the campground and stuff, so he'd have other stuff underneath it. (Look! He even has his socks on!)

I wanted a rear view, but he insisted on twirling. I snapped the picture anyways and got what I got!
Pardon the chewed cookie in the mouth, but he wouldn't close his mouth. I think the sweater turned out pretty good. Now I have to make one for The Oldest One, just in a different color.
Bernat Denimstyle in stonewash
Child's Raglan Options from this book
size 6 but the length of size 8
arms in between the size 6 and 8 length
Started Sunday, May 20
Finished Sunday, May 27
Yes, I know it's 100% acrylic, but my boys are hard on stuff, and I can't see me paying a bunch of money on expensive yarn for their stuff. It's a nice acrylic, though (yes, there is nice acrylic out there!), very soft. The only thing is it's really linty. I'm going to have to make sure I wash it separately a few times. I figure if I put it in with anything dark then the dark stuff would come out pretty darned hairy! I followed the pattern as it was written but with a bit of added length (the boys are all torso!). I also seamed it all, then I used a 60cm 4.5mm circular needle to pick up the neck stitches and knit it in the round. I think I ended up with a few less stitches in the neck, too, than the pattern said, but only like four or so. I'm interested in seeing how this yarn wears and holds its shape. I've only ever used it for a scarf for someone else and hot water bottle covers.
I'm thinking about doing these for my Sockapalooza Pal's socks. I may use some Austerman Step, not sure yet. There are a couple of other patterns I may take a closer look at first. Decisions, decisions!
Must go work on some knitting.
Happy knitting!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little sweater is adorable on him!! I wish I felt better about doing the mattress stitch - I have an impending sweater to put together!
I like the Hanauma Bay pattern - good choice! (if you stay with that choice - if not, I'm sure you'll come up with a good one)

9:31 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

He wore the sweater all evening, and he got some Crunchits cheese on it, so I washed it. It's still really soft and seems to have kept its shape, but it has a lot of fuzzies on it. I figured as much cuz it's so linty to work with. I know there are a lot of wool sweaters that fuzz up, too, and it's not just an acrylic thing.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Looks like a lot of fun in the sun!

The sweater is adorable - looks wonderful. :0)

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, summer fun! Lucky you for having at least one beautiful day this weekend - all we got here was rain, rain and more rain. But then again, we were in dire need of it, so I shouldn't complain too much!
The sweater that you did is absolutely awesome, and your little boy looks so good in it - really, really adorable!

4:49 AM  
Blogger Donna M said...

Great sweater and it looks so cute on your little model!
Another nice day today, sunny and warm. We are being spoiled by this lovely spring weather.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Heddy said...

I like the pattern you are thinking about doing for your Sockapalooza pal ... what colour Austerman are you thinking of? Whiskey (09) would be really nice!(of course, I am partial to the Whiskey colour -- lotsa nice browns and rusts and orangey colours in it!)

1:42 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

Yes, I do happen to have #09 set aside til payday next Tuesday! I am also looking at the Belle Maman pattern, quite similar but a little different.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Nice sweater, I like that yarn!

Store question - do you sell paper? I'm looking for some that is "novelty", brown with burnt looking edges or blue cloudy looking. Having no luck finding what I want. Plan to be there on Saturday for the KIP, me and the kids. About 1ish, right?

6:08 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Not this Saturday, next Saturday. I keep trying to make it one week earlier :)

9:42 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The sweater is great! You did an awesome job! And I agree on making things a little big so that kids can grow into them...that way they'll get to wear it more than once or twice before it's too small.

9:52 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

We don't have any fancy papers. We used to carry a lot, and they didn't sell. We ended up marking them way down to get rid of them. Now we seem to get a fair number of people looking for them! Probably the best place to check is Veinot's Print down past Sobeys on the opposite side of the road. Not sure if they're still open Saturday mornings or not.

11:04 PM  
Blogger aija said...

I miss slip and slides! :) We used to play on ours all the time in Vegas where I grew up-- super hot.

What a great sweater too! I'm jealous, my son won't wear any that I've knit for him (socks, but no sweaters!) :)

2:58 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

We have our summer days full force....highs of 29 and humid...yuck!

Love the sweater!! The model is adorable chewed cookie and all!!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home