Friday, April 24, 2009

Those Crazy Teenagers!

Oh, how old I feel today. I am now the mother of teenagers! Nala and Simba are 13 years old today. Seems like just yesterday they were two little imps terrorizing my houseplants in my apartment. I saw them for the first time when they were four days old with their Momma and three other littermates. These two were the only two bobtails in the litter, and all of the kittens looked like Simba except for Nala. My friend who I got them from said that of all the kittens Poopa ever had (yes, their biological Momma was called Poopa) none of them ever came out looking like Nala!

Nala:


Simba:


I haven't seen the birthday girl yet today, but the birthday boy is asleep in the kitchen window, sunning himself. I've always wondered what happened to their three brothers and sisters from that litter. They had an older half-brother also named Simba who looked just like my Simba, and I know he died about two years ago when he was fifteen. He got sick and had to be put down. :(

I finished a book tote, Ravelry details here. I used one full skein of Patons Classic Wool in harvest that has been in the stash for some time. It was originally going to be mittens. I had some leftover purple for the handles (there is purple in the harvest colorway even though it's hard to see) and the flower. I used leftovers in leaf green for the leaves.



I'd like to make two or three more of these for gifts. Next time I want to fiddle with some decreases at the top on the last ten or so rounds so it doesn't flare out so much. This one is for me, and it will do. I also made the handles longer than what it called for, and I wish I hadn't. The pattern says 8", and I think I went to 12-13". Should have kept it around 10".

Other than that I've gotten a fair bit done on my Zebra Vanilla socks. Spent two hours at outpatients yesterday and almost two hours there again this morning. (Saw your mother again today, Heddy. Showed her I had my socks with me again!) Hubs spent the other night in hospital in New Brunswick with severe abdominal pain. His sugar was high, blood pressure was high, white blood cell count was up, had a fever, severe pain in his stomach (but a couple of doses of morphine helped that). They couldn't find what was wrong but surmised gall bladder or ulcer. He got discharged the next morning and was told to go home and see his family doctor. He got home almost midnight, so yesterday afternoon he had more blood tests and xrays. This morning more blood tests. It is subsiding somewhat, so he has to have an ultrasound the beginning of the week. Our doctor is leaning towards gall bladder. Anyhoo, if he gets worse over the weekend he's to go to outpatients again, and they'll send him to the next town over to see a surgeon.

The forecast is for a gorgeous weekend, sunny and nice temperatures. I plan on doing yard work and start expanding my garden area. I would imagine sittin' and knittin' in the sun will happen at some point as well.

Happy knitting!

8 Comments:

Blogger Frieda said...

The book tote looks perfect to me , nice work !

Doesn't time fly by too fast . Bingo is 12 already , seems like just yesterday we brought him home from Mike's mom . They're beautiful pusses!

Enjoy your weekend , don't work all the time ...

4:59 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Love that tote! :o)

5:53 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

Lovely kitties. The bag turned out wonderful! I hope your husband will be O.K.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

The tote is perfect! I love it.

Your kitties are so sweet!

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet bag! And, sweet cats too.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

Cute tote, I really like the colours...
Happy birthday to the kitties!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara from Nova Scotia said...

I love your kitties!
I LOVE that book tote!! Gorgeous! I want one, now.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous teen said...

Most people really think their teen years were the best of their lives .

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home