Monday, July 26, 2010

You've Got Mail

When BF came home a few weeks ago she came with a friend who was originally from Germany and had never been out this way. I teased Hubs cuz this new friends is an Oilers fan, and Hubs is a die-hard Flames fan. She teased that when she got home she was sending me an Oilers t-shirt. Last week when I got the mail the parcel was there, but it was an official jersey, not just a t-shirt! The plan was to not let on I had it and wear it out to Hubs's birthday party Saturday night, but he found it in the back of my closet when he was searching for his SingStar Country that we got him (the Littlest One couldn't find it), so my plot was foiled. He said I could wear it anyways so he could throw things at me all evening. But it was too hot, I didn't wear it.

Then today I get the mail, and there was this present awaiting! I sent some sock yarn leftovers off to Wandering Cat Studio for her crackghan, and in return she sent me some Top Cat in a gorgeous blue (which made me think of Nova Knitter, lol!) It's sooooooo soft and squishy, I can't wait to make myself a pair of socks out of this little baby.
Last week Hubs got his new moose bumper installed on the truck. They're pricey but definitely worth it when you drive in moose territory and also if people decide to not stay on their side of the road. Luckily the company he hauls for pays for half of it. That doesn't hurt so bad.

So Hubs's birthday is technically tomorrow, July 27. Saturday night we had a party for him and his cousin who had a birthday a week ago. We had a visitor that I didn't even know lived around here, don't think I've ever seen one in person. It was a cute little flying squirrel. I think he has a home in one of my trees cuz there is a bunch of wood shavings on the ground that weren't there a couple of days ago when I weed whacked. I can see a round hole waaaayyyy up in the tree, too. The poor thing was scared to death with all the noise, the poor thing wedged itself under the siding on the garage. The Oldest One had soda crackers, and this little guy snatched one up pronto, but I think it was out of fear, he didn't eat it. He stayed there way too long, but he eventually right himself. It had gotten pitch black out, so I didn't want to blind the little guy with the flash, so I wouldn't take any more pictures. I ended up taking a container, gently scooped him up into it and used the flashlight to keep him from jumping out, and took him to the big tree with the wood shavings around it. I had peanuts in that tree (we've had a normal squirrel coming to the bird feeders) and set him beside a couple of them. I left him alone, but when I went back about 10 minutes later he was gone. Haven't seen him since, but then again they are nocturnal, and I don't go trolling around the yard in the dark - well, not normally. My boys LOVE squirrels and chipmunks, so they are super excited. My parents live up around the corner a ways from us, and she has all kinds that come to her feeders. They are tame enough that they'll eat out of they boys' hands.

And speaking of the party... Hubs has a 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood that belonged to his father. When his father died, he inherited the car. It needs some work, definitely needs some bodywork and a paint job. Anyhoo, the parties are usually held in our two-car garage, and to make more room he always puts the car outside and the 4-wheeler. Sunday he goes out to put the car back in the garage, and after it idles for a bit, it dies. He figures it ran out of gas, so off he went to get some in my lawn mower jug. I'm in the kitchen, fan blowing, can't hear anything, then all of a sudden the Littlest One comes running, "The Cadillac is on fire! The Cadillac is on fire!" Now he's prone to exaggeration, but I got up and went to his bedroom window anyways. As soon as I got through the door all I could see was smoke, and there was Hubs with a fire extinguisher, trying to put out the flames shooting out of the engine! I called 911, but by the time the fire truck got here he had it out. He had to use the extinguisher in the garage and the one from his truck before he finally got it out. My Dad came down and looked at it after he hosed off the extinguisher dust, and he said it wasn't as bad as it seemed. Some paint is bubbled on the hood, but it didn't get into the dash or firewall or anything. We figure the fuel line popped off when he put it in drive, he only moved about 6" when he heard a noise and was like, "uh, oh". Good thing it wasn't in the garage when it happened. And good thing Hubs can move fast when required so to do. He's a retired fire department member, so they all know us, they knew right away it was our house when they got the call, and they were thankful that it wasn't the big truck that was on fire! It left a big black scorch mark on my lawn, too.
And after all this I'll leave you with a shot of Maggie and Jewel's nemesis. See that cat on the far right? That's the neighbor's cat that insists on sitting just outside the fence, across the road, or in one of my driveways to drive the dogs insane. It also likes to poop in my yard all the freaking time.

Happy knitting!


Blogger Donna M said...

Gorgeous yarn! Can't wait to see it!

That moose bumper looks like it could really take a hit.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

Glad you like the yarn!

Love the squirrel - we have them here too and I didn't find out until I did a story on a some road construction where they built a tunnel under the road with "trees" for the squirrels to fly from so they didn't cut their territory in half

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home