Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Unthinkable

It's hard to believe, but it has happened again. Not sure how long this link to the news story will last. Last night I got a call from Hubs at 11pm that he had been in an accident, and the other driver was killed. This is our truck, he tried to ditch it to avoid the other vehicle, but it was too late. This happened on a divided highway, somehow the other person was on the wrong side of the road. It was almost 11pm, light rain/drizzle, and fog. Hubs is badly shaken but not physically hurt.


This person was an off-duty HR police officer, 41 years old with 4 kids. They have no idea why he was on the wrong side of the divided highway. I took a major panic/anxiety/stress attack and ended up having to get someone to take me to the hospital where they gave me a needle and two bags of IVs. Hubs ended up getting a ride to the city where he stayed til this afternoon when a good friend of ours brought him home on one of his container runs to the paper mill. I just had to run down to the mill to pick him up.

In June of 2005 he had a very similar accident, and a lady was killed when she crossed the yellow line and into our first truck that we owned. It's hard to believe that something like that could happen to someone in 4.5 years when others drive 50 years or more and never have a major incident. In February of 2007 he had an accident up north and laid this truck in the picture on its side. Luckily he didn't get physically hurt in any of these accidents, and I am so thankful that both fatalities were NOT his fault. Both were caused by people not staying in their own lanes.

So now we're in a pickle. It could be after New Years before we find out much info about insurance and stuff. We'll have to go to wherever they tow the truck between Christmas and New Years to get his stuff. All he grabbed was his duffle bag, wallet, phone, and medicine bag. Right before Christmas, four poor kids with no father, us not knowing when he'll have a pay again after the end of this month.... Not good, but I guess we got through it the last time, we'll get through it again somehow.

14 Comments:

Blogger Donna M said...

It is definitely unbelievable! They say lightning doesn't strike twice..... but......

Glad to hear that R is ok physically and hope all works out for you.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your husband's accident. I am glad your husband is physically ok. He is going to be shaken for a long time, especially if this is the second time.

I will say a prayer for those 4 children and for your own family. Please know that people out here are thinking of you and your family, especially at this time of year. You'll get through it.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh I am so sorry. I can't imagine being in that situation. Sending lots of good thoughts your way.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Frieda said...

Oh God, it never seems to rain , but it pours ! You've had more than your share of bad luck lately. My heart goes out to all of you and the family of the policeman who was killed .I don't know what to say , except hang in there . Wish I could help in some way . (((( hugs ))))

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Chrissy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine how much of an impact this will be on your hubby. Thank God he was uninjured.

Sending good vibes your way.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Oh, I am so sorry. My parents drive truck as well, so I have an idea of how scary that must have been. I hope the insurance and paperwork goes faster than you can imagine, and you guys are back on track in no time. Soooo glad he's okay, and you guys will be together safe & sound over the holidays!! Prayers said for the family of the driver.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I was very relieved to read that the hubs is ok -- the first glimpse of the truck pic was a bit scarey. I feel bad for the family of the deceased, especially just before Christmas. You guys are definitely due for a change of luck. Let's hope the New Year turns it around for you.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous pat said...

WOW Sheri - THAT is a scary looking picture. I am so glad he is safe and sound and hope you can get your life smoothed out pretty soon - best to all of you.

6:51 PM  
Blogger ashley-in-chains said...

Sheri, I'm glad your hubby was OK. So sad for the other family. Keeping you in my thoughts.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

OMG! When I heard that news I said a quick little prayer for the driver of the truck ... that he would be OK, and not "blame" himself. What a shock when I read your post. ((Hugs)) to you

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Debra in NC said...

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

11:17 PM  
Blogger AmberRose said...

There is not much to say sweetie...but you know my heart and thots are with you and your family.
Sylvia

12:56 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I am so sorry that your having to deal with this.

How sad for the officer and his family.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

My god, that's horrible! I'm just glad your husband did not get hurt!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home