Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Some Father's Day Socks

Got a pair of socks for my Dad finished up for Father's Day. I started these one June 5, finished them up on the 13th. I used a 2.25mm needle and did a basic 3x2 rib with Scheepjeswol Invicta Extra. Ravelry details here.

I'm trying to crank out a pair for step-FIL, but he's away working, I don't know if he'll be home for Father's Day this weekend or not. Better have them ready, just in case. I have the yarn to make my Dad another pair, too. He does oodles and oodles of stuff for us all the time (like fix backed up septic systems, bleed hot water tank lines when I run out of oil, tar a leaky roof til I can get it reshingled, etc, etc....), so he'll get an extra pair if not on Father's Day then shortly after.

Remember this big kerfuffle back in December? Finally, finally, we got the release papers to sign for the settlement. They've only had our stuff since March and had approved it. We had to wait til the company we haul for had all their bills submitted so the insurance company could settle the file in one swoop. That was highly annoying since our claim was separate from the company's claim, and we aren't millionaires, unlike the company we haul for. Anyhoo, the bright side is they're paying the full amount we asked for, so that's a good thing. I think the insurance company only did it this fast cuz the company we work for has their fiscal year end June 30, and they wanted the file closed before their year end. I'm just glad it's going to be done for good within the next week or two.

This wasn't a good way to be on the news, but my nephew was on tv the other night. Not sure how long the link will last, he's the one in the red plaid shirt, baggy jeans, hat, and sunglasses. (Currently he lives with us, he had a spat with his mother.) A good friend of his was killed in a car accident Saturday night. Three others in the car had minor injuries, a fourth boy was air lifted to the city - his mother is a good friend of mine, she worked at the store for a couple of years after we got the Ball N Skein, his sister used to babysit for me. He has a broken pelvis, shoulder, and a broken shoulder blade. The guy who died, his father was my home room teacher in grade 7, had him for different subjects in junior high, and his mother was the Oldest One's teacher in grade one, the Littlest One was supposed to have her this year, but she retired. Hubs's cousin got married on Saturday, her photographer was the boy's sister, the poor thing. They had to come get her at the reception and tell her that her brother died. The man talking in this news clip is my current babysitter's father (they've got his first name wrong). It happened pretty much next door to her house.

And I know exactly how these kids all feel -- 18 years ago this November one of my best friends was killed in a car accident at age 20. He's who my Oldest One is named after. And 19 years ago this month on the 7th there was a terrible accident in a small community just outside of town where 3 guys that I went to high school with were all killed. Time is healing, but you never forget.

5 Comments:

Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

Yay! You got them done in time!
I have some of that yarn - I love the rweedy look of it.
I've had to hide my Dad's f-day socks becuase peno thought they were a cat blanket just for her. They were covered in cat hair!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

Yeah for getting the socks done! I didn't even thing about knitting my dad something, as I'm not sure he'll wear handknit socks. The last ones his sister made some for him, I got to keep them. :o)
Oh that's soooo bad, when kids die in car accidents!
When I still was at school, we passed an accident on the road with the bus, and one of my friends brother just died there. she recognized his car. He was supposed to pick her up, and when he didn't show, she got on the bus. That was horrible! As you said, one never forgets.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Donna M said...

The soscks look great! I'm sure he will be pleased.

I remember the second accident you are talking about as my kids knew those boys as well. A very difficult time for everyone.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Frieda said...

Love the socks , nice job !

That's so sad ! I feel bad for his family and friends .In a small community where everyone knows each other , it's particularly hard and touches so many people personally . You move on but you don't forget .

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately car accidents and deaths are sometimes things all kids go through. My own kids were best friends with a girl in my son's senior class back in 2001. I was her teacher at one point. She was in an accident and killed because she didn't have her seat belt on. After that I never ever had to nag my three kids to wear a seat belt!! My daughter went through it again when she was 19. Her best friend died alone in a crash with alcohol involved. I believe they now all stay put if they have been driving.

Such hard lessons to learn!!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home