Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Knots & Cake

I started making the boys some Newfoundland mittens the other day. I also started some socks for the Oldest One, I needed some mindless knitting, and also I need a break from the Briggs & Little once in awhile. I don't have bamboo needles the size I need for the mittens, and I find knitting with B&L on steel needles hard on my hands.

The socks I'm making are Kroy Jacquards in the wasabi colorway, just plain old vanillas. I always pull the yarn from the middle of the skein, and this first skein had a funky patch right at the beginning, almost like it wasn't spun correctly. So I broke that part off, losing a yard or more right from the start. I wasn't very far into the sock, and lo and behold there's a knot. I'm thinking that's really odd for Kroy, I can't remember every having a knot in any of the Kroy I've used before. Maybe, but I really don't recall. Anyhoo, last night I get the gusset decreases done on the first sock, and there's another knot! Then I got almost to the toe, and there's another knot! Three knots and a funkily-spun spot, all in one skein, what a tick off. I'm hoping the next skein is trouble free. Luckily the knots haven't seemed to interfere with the stripe pattern, I hate it when it messes up the stripes. However, I'm kind of nervous that I'm going to run out of yarn on the toe. Kroy is skimpy on yardage in the first place, and losing yarn to knots and funkily-spun spots is not nice. And the kid has big feet, so I figured I'd use up pretty much every bit of yarn in the first place. I do have some leftover Kroy in the flax colorway that I can use for the toes if I have to.

From here on out I am going to count backwards. I have a feeling that next year will be themed, "It's My Party, And I'll Cry If I Want To". My last birthday cake from the store, the last birthday cake the store will buy any of us.

Happy knitting!

4 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

I wish you a very happy Birthday!!!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

Happy Birthday!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Well, Happy Birthday, a day late.

I'm with you on the knots thing. There seems to be more of that sort of things, even in brands that used to be very reliable.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Frieda said...

Darn , I missed it !! Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday !

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home