Friday, April 15, 2016

Cuba 2016 Part One

Lots of pictures! I will spread this out over a few posts.  We went to Cuba last month, this year we went to a different area, Varadero.  The place we stayed wasn't nearly as nice as the place we stayed last year.  I think I prefer Holguin as well, more rural.  However, it was nice to go to a different area, and we did a day trip to Havana which was awesome (that will be a post on its own).  The youngest kid went with us, but the oldest one didn't.  All he did was complain it was too hot, nothing of interest for him down there, he didn't want to go, blah, blah, blah.  I gave up fighting with him, so he stayed home and looked after the dogs and went to school.

The resort is classed as 3.5 star, I think, but I would put it more like 2.5 stars.  It needs a lot of renovations.  The room was older, but it was always clean, and I guess that's the main thing.  The pool needs some new paint, but it was always clean, never crowded when we were there, no problem to get loungers.  This place is actually two resorts that share facilities, and there were a total of three pools, but we just hung out at this one since it was on our side.




A two minute walk from the pool puts you on Varadero Beach. Gorgeous.  It was super windy, so some days the beach was red flagged.  Not a good beach for snorkeling, either.  There was a spot 10 minutes down the road that was good for snorkeling, but we didn't bother.




Juanito, the gardener, was working on this hat when we went by.  He called me over, he spoke very little English, but he showed me how to weave in the final ends and gave me this hat. I offered him some pesos, of course.  I didn't bother trying to bring it home with me, I figured they'd take it from me when we landed in Halifax.  But I kept it for the week we were there.


The lobby at the resort.



Lots of kitties around.  This one was a sweetie, I could have brought her home.  She was around the buffet and lobby all the time as well as a couple of other cats.




More pictures around the grounds.






This car belonged to some workers who were doing some stuff to one of the buildings behind the pool.  Love the old cars in Cuba!


Happy knitting!


2 Comments:

Blogger Donna M said...

Great pics! Look forward to more!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

Looks like a nice place for a get-away!

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home