Thursday, June 01, 2006

Sock Yarn


One of the skeins of sock yarn that I won on eBay arrived today. It's soooo very gorgeous! Nice and colorful coraly-orange-yellow. I haven't quite decided which pattern I will use for this yarn. Maybe Broadripple? Of course, I could wait til the summer Knitty comes out. It's an "extremeties" issue, so there should be a few socks in there!








Pumba seems to be doing fine since his weekend ordeal. He's none too happy about the diet. He's poopin' and peein', and that's what counts!

My mother called yesterday shorty before supper to say that Dad was in the hospital. He's away working (it's like a five hour drive almost to get to where he is), and he cut himself quite badly on the arm. He had called from the hospital, but she didn't really know how he did it. He ended up calling here last night. Apparently he was using a grinder to take apart a conveyer belt (or something to that effect), and something got wedged or jammed in it, and it was either part of what he was cutting or the grinder itself that came back and got him just above the wrist. It sliced through two tendons, and there's a bunch of debris in his arm that needs removing. They did First Aid on him (he said the guys were quite white, but they did it!) and called 911. An ambulance and two police cars arrived. (On a boat, so immediate "industrial accident".) He has to go back tomorrow to the hospital and have it operated on to reconnect the tendons, remove the debris, and try to repair the muscle. He said it's like 4" long and 2" deep. I'd have been no good to him - one look and I'd have been laid out on the floor! I'd never make a doctor. No stomach for blood and stuff! The surgeon was in OR for 12 hours yesterday, so he just bandaged Dad's arm up and scheduled him for tomorrow. A little lower and it would have hit and artery. He probably would have bled to death. I was to this place where the boats tie up once, and it's in the middle of nowhere. The hospital must be 1/2 hour to 45 minutes away. He called home this morning and told Ma that he didn't get any sleep last night because his arm throbbed so bad. I can imagine!

Still no FO to show! The weather has been too nice to get much knitting done. I think the boys tried to kill me today - or at least cripple me. They got me to get my bike out of the basement, pump up the tires, clean it up, and drive it around the yard. That was the first time in probably 10 years that I drove a bicycle! I'll be sore tomorrow!

I would leave everyone with another shot of Poomie Oomie and also the Lorna's Laces that I got on eBay that came last week, but Blogger just crapped out on me for uploading pictures. Maybe next post!

Happy knitting!

4 Comments:

Blogger aija said...

Great ebay score! You always find great sock yarn there :)

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I absolutely love the yarn you got, such an awesome color! Looking forward to seeing what you're going to make with it! And oh, I love your Kitty, what a cutie she is!
So sorry to hear about your Dad's accident - I wish him all the best, hopefully he'll recover very soon!

2:38 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

That is beautiful sock yarn! I can't wait until the summer Knitty comes out--socksocksocks!

What a horrible accident! I hope your Dad get well very soon!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Ragan said...

Wow, I never find anything that good on ebay! You are so lucky! Sorry to hear about your dad, I hope that all goes well with his surgery. AND...I really enjoyed your Pumba picture.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home