Monday, March 31, 2008

Twenty-Nine of Fifty-Two, The Final

My finally finished Fabel vanilla socks from hell. Never have I had such problems knitting a self striping sock! The second sock has about five joins in it, at least, in order to make them match. Started March 14, finished the 31st. Pair 30 of 52 for the 52PP, my final contribution to the KAL before the deadline. Plain old vanilla, 60sts on 2.25mm needles, heel over 30sts, toe to 20sts. (BTW, there's going to be a 52PP 2 starting June 1. Details here.)

They're as close as they're going to get.

Part of the reason for the second sock not matching up was stupidity on my part. (Which was sooooo stupid I won't even go into detail on just how stupid it was. I must have been smacked with a stupid stick is all I will say.) The other part was the discovery of this little fellow upon winding the ball for probably the 20th time (no exaggeration). Of course it wasn't joined where the color repeats would continue in sequence. (Heddy, didn't you have that problem with your Fabel Sockapalooza socks?)
Took Jewel and the boys to the tennis/basketball ball court beside the community swimming pool and a ball field last night. It's totally enclosed, so we thought we'd take her there and let her off the leash so she couldn't escape. Of course, the back corner was tore apart. Hubby had extra bungies in the truck and tried to get it closed as much as he could to prevent her from getting out. There are three ball fields about a two minute walk from home, right across from my parents. The big field is totally enclosed but is now locked due to vandalism. The littlest field is totally enclosed, however that also has a hole in the fence straight down from first base, big enough for her to walk through. These thing probably won't get fixed. I doubt they're high priority (especially since they really aren't dog parks, but since there's none around here ya gotta make do).

Come on, someone! Let's play!

Nice action shot of Jewel running at us with the tennis ball.

Tired from running. The kids were outside the fence, so she wanted to follow, of course.

That's about it. I had to drive to the city again Saturday to fetch Hubby at the truck terminal again, second weekend in a row. This time he was in Sydney, hooked to his trailer, went to leave, and BANG! Something broke in the rear end. He managed to drive it with the power divider on to the garage. They spent the afternoon today tearing it apart but haven't found the exact problem yet. Big bucks regardless, on top of the breakdown the weekend before. (Broken spring, new king pins, machined front axle.) Plus he lost basically three days work for the spring incident, and this will probably four or five days, depending on what they actually find wrong, what they need to order, etc. (Then there's the moose bumper he got a few days before the truck started being difficult.) They close at 5, too, not like the garage in Bridgewater that is open til midnight, and the one we go to in the city is open til 2am. He says no more working the weekend, nothing is open, can't get the truck fixed, and he has to hitch rides home. Plus I hate driving any distance. Needless to say he got to drive home both times.

Anyways, I will stop here. I've been depressed enough as it is lately, don't need to bring everyone else down with me. We were watching Fargo, Hubby's never seen it, but of course the pager went off for a chimney fire. That thing has perfect timing, I'll tell ya! So it's paused so I could finish the post I started this afternoon.

Happy knitting!

PS There's a contest going on over here. Check it out. Tell her Lexa sent you!


Blogger Charity said...

Well, the socks may have been a pain to knit, but they really look great! :0)

12:40 AM  
Blogger meegiemoo said...

I love those socks. Well worth the effort.

Jewel! Want doggie!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Frieda said...

I'm sorry to hear about all the troubles with the truck. Sometimes it seems like there's always something . I hope this will be tha last of the bad luck . I really love the socks , great colours . Super pics of Jewel , I bet she just loved her run !

11:12 AM  
Blogger Heddy said...

Glad to know you got straightened out on the Fabel's ... you have a good memory - the same thing happened to me with my Sockapalooza socks but I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I was quite pissed about it, if I remember correctly. My knot took out enough yarn that I didn't have enough to even piece together the second sock and had to wait for a new ball to be ordered in for me! Glad yopu didn't have the same problem, and were able to make your work out!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

The socks look great and seems like you had fun at the "dog park". Too bad we can't get our dogs together. They would have a blast. Sorry to hear about the truck.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Your socks look great! I hope the Fabel that I bought doesn't do that. Nothing irritates me more.
Sorry to miss KK. But you will be glad I am not there spreading germs everywhere.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Monika said...

We have a tennis court behind our house at the park as well. We brought our dogs there to run free. We had to stop, when both had surgery, and because somebody threw glass in it, and it was everywhere. It was fun while it lasted.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home