Monday, September 24, 2007

Sixteen of Fifty-Two

Pair sixteen of fifty-two for the 52PP, also my September socks for the SAM4 KAL.

Austerman Step vanilla 2x2 ribbed socks with eye of partridge heel over 36sts, toe to 24sts. Sized to fit ladies' large/men's medium on 2.25mm needles. These are going to the store to sit with the Austerman Step display. I didn't try to match them up, and I really doubt I had enough yarn to make them match anyways. (Apparently one of the yarn reps is coming on Wednesday or Thursday with a sample of new sock yarn. It's made by Kertzer and is a sock yarn with aloe vera in it as well. I guess it's their version of the Austerman, and it's cheaper. I hope I'm there when the rep comes!)

If you're a dog lover or an animal lover in general you may want to skip this last part.

Next weekend is the last weekend for camping at our campground. Hubby is in Whitehorse and won't be home to help close the camper up for the season, so he suggested that I get our good friend who camps there as well to bring our bbq home. He came right to my house with it when he left the campground yesterday, so he had his five-year-old with him and their little rabbit hound. Now this dog is notorious for escaping, and she runs like greased lightning. She'll get a couple of feet from you and bolt before you can get her. She won't be caught the same way twice. The Littlest One opened the truck door, and the dog bolted. This was shortly after suppertime. We almost had her a couple of times, I actually grabbed her once but couldn't hold onto her, she didn't have her collar on. We tried hot dogs, I only have cat food so we tried that, he got his wife to bring their daughter up cuz sometimes she'll go to her, loves car rides, tried leaving the truck door open, nothing worked. She took the kids home for supper, and he went home, too, and came back in the evening. He stayed til almost ten, still no luck catching her. She'd lay on the neighbor's lawn and watch us but wouldn't let us near. Once he went home his wife arrived to try and get her.

Shortly after eleven she decided she'd have to go, too, as she's a teacher and had to get up early. The dog was hanging around my yard and the nearby houses, so I said if she came barking through the night I'd get up and try to get her to come inside. The dog had disappeared again, and my friend only drove maybe eighty feet up the road if that, the dog came flying out of the neighbor's yard across the street and right under the tires of the car. I heard her yelp and saw her run into the yard of the house directly beside mine where she layed down on the front lawn and let my friend pick her up. We called the vet, and I felt around her to see if I felt anything broken or dislocated, but she almost immediately started not breathing very well. I grabbed a blanket to wrap her up in, but when my friend went to lay her on the front seat she went unconscious. My friend lost it, and I felt the dog's heartbeat for probably less than a minute, then she died. I feel totally horrible, totally guilt-ridden. He blames himself for not taking her home first or not locking the truck doors, but I'll always feel like it's my fault. I can't imagine that happening with a stranger's dog let alone my own pet.


So that's what happened. Her husband arrived to drive her car and the dog home. He buried her with her blankie, and the kids each put one of her toys with her.

Well, I should go try to start some supper. It's getting that time of day.

Happy knitting!

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna M said...

How horrible for the poor little dog and her family, as well as you and yours.
Knock on wood I have never seen a dog hit by a car. Whenever ours decides to take off on us, she is usually on the rail line, and back in the woods. I still always fear her getting down to the highway or being eaten by coyotes!

5:29 PM  
Blogger lexa said...

That's the second time I've seen a dog hit by a car. My friend who moved to Australia used to live in Mill Village. We were walking the loop around Charleston one time, and this little dog came out of a yard and followed us up the road. She crossed the road, and what did she do but take three steps into the road, and a lady in a car came along and ran her right over! It happened about 100 feet up the road from us, and I'll never forget the sound it made or the sight of the dog limping to the ditch afterwards. She didn't die, she had a broken paw and a cut above her eye. Coulda punched the lady in the face who hit her cuz all she was worried about was the crack in her bumper. We stayed the whole time til the dog's owner was found and had someone come help her with the dog. (If I had been the person who hit her I would have put her in my car and taken her to the vet, that's for sure, especially since the owner didn't drive.)

5:49 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

So sad about the little dog...

I really like your finished socks! :0)

6:26 PM  
Blogger Frieda said...

My heart goes out to you and your friend ... hugs

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh, how terrible! I so feel for the poor little dog and her family, as well as for you all. I certainly pray that I'll never have to see something like this, it must be such a nightmare ;(

5:50 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I love your socks...the colourway is so pretty! I didn't get any socks knit up this summer...I did start a few pair, but didn't get them finished before coming to Korea. I've got a couple balls of sock yarn with me and can't seem to find any over here so I'll have to have my parents ship some of mine to me, or order it online and hope the shipping isn't overly expensive.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

That is so sad :( I am sorry that happened.

Your socks are wonderful.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home