Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sigh

Y'know how sometimes things just don't seem to go right? We took our camper to the new spot we're staying at this season. We backed into our lot, and the camper is waaayyyy lopsided. The guy was like, "You don't have any blocking?" Hello! We'd need to block the one side up by like 1.5-2', ain't happenin', not safe. Also in our peruse of the lot we can't find a water outlet. Apparently it's up a ways in the next lot, and there's no T on it, so the neighbors are plugged in, no spot for us. We need to get a T so we can hook up.

So they send us off to the field for the weekend so they can get a load of shale brought in to even our lot out. The previous trailer was a lot smaller and was sent perpendicular to the road. We can't do that, ours is too big. So off we go to the field. The first spot is lopsided as well, but we deal for the night cuz it's getting late. The next day we move back two spots to where another couple had been parked, and it was flat, so that was better. We make absolutely sure that the hot water tank electric element is off, fill the tank with water, then turn it on. (Winter before last friends winterized it for us and left the hot water tank switch in the on position, so it burned out our electric element cuz it tried to heat an empty tank. All last season we used propane to heat it til it got fixed when the professionals winterized it in the fall.) No hot water. We consult the books that came with the camper, no dice. So we decide to fall back on propane. I knew one tank was empty, but I thought there was some in the other, even though there wouldn't be much. Well, that was empty as well. So not hot water.

The next day (Sunday) we go to get one of the tanks filled, come back, presto, hot water, and the furnace worked, not that we needed it. We go to cook supper, and the stove barely lights. Burners on high, so little flame it goes out if you light another burner or just on its own. He tried and tried, thought maybe there was air in the lines, consulted the books again, nothing. When we took the stove top off we found a spring, no idea where it came from. Then I had to vacuum it out cuz whatever got into the camper during the winter had been under there and left some presents, and I found a little round white cap. A friend came along and tried to help us. Come to find out the spring was from a pressure valve, and the little white cap held it in place. Whatever got in the camper had hauled this plastic piece off in its adventures, and the spring shot out. (That's probably why there was poop under there -- probably scared the crap out of him.) Put the spring back in, put the cap on, presto -- flamage. Oh, yeah, and it rained all weekend.

So today I do some laundry early this morning. My washer drains into a big sink that had gotten a clogged drain from lint and whatnot, little to my knowledge. I go down to throw the wash in the dryer, and my feet get wet. The sink overflowed all over the place, so I had to spend 45 minutes with my steam cleaner trying to suck up as much water as I could from the carpet. I have two fans on high to try and dry up the rest. What a mess.

After all my griping I do have a couple of FOs:

Felted Bag by Jessica Gutoski made with two skeins of new denim Patons Classic Wool and one skein in wedgewood on 9mm needles. Started May 13, finished May 18. I made a few wee changes, details here on Ravelry.

The second bag is also PCW in turquoise and a little bit of paprika. Ravelry details here, I started and finished this one on May 17. It was felted on May 18. I used 6.5mm needles for this one.


So that's the excitement of my life over the past few days. Right now I'm just working on some braindead baby hat knitting. Tomorrow I have to work part of the day, then I HAVE to mow the lawn. It's too wet to mow today. Thursday and Friday are supposed to be summer hot, and I can't mow in the heat, so tomorrow it is. I also have to work on the garden, so I don't foresee a lot of knitting happening in the next few days.

Happy knitting!

PS Overall the new spot we camp at is going to be fun, I think. Loads of activities to do, the ones who are in charge are nice. They've been bringing in shale for lots of different spots to level up for people. Our former campground would have charged us to do that or we would have had to bring it in ourselves. We were lucky to get a spot there -- the seasonal lots are full, and they have quite a waiting list.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marti said...

Sorry your weekend was a bit of a bust!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Frieda said...

Oh my gosh , that was a lot of hassle . I'm hoping you have clear sailing for the rest of the summer .

Mike & I are hoping to get some camping in this summer , once he's retired. We're not going too far afield this year because of wedding preps and renovations , AGAIN, but at least a couple of days away will do us both good. Assuming that summer will appear at some point . Right now it's crappy weatherwise .

Love the bags, nice work as usual !

10:17 AM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

The bags look great, and just remember, when things get down they can only go up!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like all of your bad luck for the summer was used up in this past weekend! I guess it's true what 'they' say, "when it rains, it pours!".

I love the bags by the way....

5:59 AM  
Anonymous JessaLu said...

Isn't the first trip of the season a BLAST?! ;op We haven't even opened our camper yet, I'm skeered of what we'll find...

Great bags! :o)

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home