Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Privateer Days

This weekend gone by was our town's annual Privateer Days. They always did this when I was a kid, then for years it disappeared, and several years back it started up again. It lasts for four days, it actually started last Thursday, and ended Sunday night with a nice fireworks display. Saturday was parade day. We just walked down our road and watched the parade go by in front of the fire hall. This first picture is from near the beginning of the parade with the troops of the King's Orange Rangers and their muskets. They shoot these off continually during the parade. I have a video clip on here of it. I had another one, too, that is right in front of me and longer, but I can't get it to upload. Tried three or four times, and it failed each time.



For the first time in years the store put an entry in the parade. I missed it, but the owner's daughter and two of her friends walked in front of the van with a big banner lent to us from the cable company we represent.
This is a replica of our local former train station which is now the Hank Snow Country Music Centre.

The guy on this float is a Canadian Champion woodsman. He is from the other end of the county. My boys love to watch him on television (and they are fascinated that Pa knows someone who is on tv). Every summer there is a big competition in town, so this was kind of the advertisement for it. This year it happens August 29 and 30, and TSN will be there to film six episodes for their station. Saturday east coast competitors vie for the top five positions to compete Sunday against the top five competitors from the west coast. The winner is the Canadian Champion and goes to Switzerland in September to compete at the World's.
There were lots more floats and stuff, we usually have a really nice parade. It didn't rain, but it was overcast which was good in a way. I always feel bad if it's hot and sunny for the poor people who have to walk, especially those in costume. The women's outfits have many layers, and the men wear wool. This was a nice float from one of our local drug stores.

I did get some knitting accomplished. I made yet another Little Sister's Dress. This one is for a friend in the US who just had his first baby. She was a month old on the 4th, so I have to get this in the mail this week. This one is size 6 months, and I used Bernat Baby Jacquards in cherry berry on 3.5mm needles. Started June 30, finished July 5. Ravelry details here.

Last night I went on a winding frenzy. I have a ball winder but no swift, so it's slow going. I caked up five or six skeins, one of them tangled and was hard to get untangled, but I got it eventually. I have six skeins of sock yarn left to do. Seems like every time I want to make a pair of socks lately the yarn I want to use is in a skein. This way if it's all done then it's ready when I am.
Happy knitting!

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna M said...

Great pics of the parade!

Feel free to bring your skeins here and use my swift to finish up your remaining yarn!

2:53 PM  
Blogger aija said...

The parade looks so fun! And your little girl dress is adorable... I've been on a kick coveting pink lately :)

3:13 PM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

That looks like a lot of fun.. Im glad the weather was good.
Dress looks great, the jacquards are the perfect yarn for it!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

The dress is very cute! I have the same "problem" with readily available yarn, when I want it. Winding yarn is the least fav part of knitting for me. Sometimes I get my son to do it, especially if it's tangled! :o)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

What gorgeous dress!!! I am a new knitter and want to try that dress at some point. I am dying to work with the Baby Bernat Jacquards. Those floats in that parade are amazing!!

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home