Monday, December 21, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

First off I want to thank everyone for their kinds words about our latest tragedy. Our truck wasn't removed from the scene until Friday, and we may not hear the verdict on damages until after the holidays. One of the dispatchers called and said that some people said she didn't look too bad, others said she looked really twisted up. One of Hubs' trucking buddies called yesterday and said the full load of meats he was carrying was given to the food bank. 48,000lbs of meats can feed a lot of people, so that's a good thing. We've heard lots of rumors about the accident, nothing of an "official" capacity, but everyone is pretty much saying the same thing. It will be interesting to find out what's true.

Anyways, we got our first real storm of the season yesterday. Hubs is outside playing with his plow and 4-wheeler with the Littlest One riding shotgun.

I had to scroll back through my last posts to see what FO I showed last. Haven't had much knitting content in the last few posts.
Everything shown here are Christmas gifts. I made two Irish Hiking scarves with Patons Shetland Chunky, two skeins each, of oxford grey and sage green. I modified it two two cables because of the heavier yarn. I started the grey one December 1 and finished the 4th, and the green one was started on the 5th and finished the 9th. Ravelry details here and here. They are probably 6' long, so they can be worn in various styles.

I used Patons SWS to make some felted coasters for Nanny R and each boy's teacher. They turned out really cute. I had two skeins of blue and got 7.5 coasters out of it, so when I used the purpley I cast on 78sts instead of 90sts and got four coasters. (One of the coasters is a half-and-half so I had three sets of four.) I like the size of the purpley coasters better, so if I make these again I will cast on 78sts. Started these on December 11, finished the 14th. Ravelry details here.


So I am still knitting even though I'm almost out of time. I finished one thrummed mitten for my brother last night, hopefully I'll get the second one done tonight. I have to go to work in a little bit. I'll take a vanilla sock with me, but I doubt I'll have time to touch it. I have a couple of pairs of worsted weight socks to make, too. We'll see how far I get. My MIL was by the other day with our stuff, and I don't have theirs finished, and the other stuff I have wasn't wrapped. We will probably not see her again til Boxing Day, so I'll probably just take it up then. (That buys me a couple of days more to knit, and they don't mind getting their gifts late. Wouldn't be the first time they got their Christmas gifts a few days late!)
I got a little cheer-me-up gift from a friend the other day. Three hand-knit dishcloths and a package of mulling spices. Her husband was like, "She can make her dishcloths, you know." I love it, I needed new dishcloths, and even though they are fast it's hard to find the time to make my own. Her thoughtfulness is much appreciated.
Last week was our Knit Nite Christmas party. We did a yarn exchange. I nabbed this one from NovaKnitter. It's Fame Trend by Marks & Kattens. Really pretty, this is MINE, and I will have to ponder on a pattern for it.
Off to finish getting ready for work.

Happy knitting!

5 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

Reading through your post makes me breathless. You really are in a holiday knitting stress! The Fame Trend is really lovely. I have some, but have not knit with it yet.
That's a lot of meat for the food banks, at least something positive came out of it.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

The scarves look great! And I love that yarn you scored... I'm going to have to try to dye something like that....

12:41 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

Wow, are you ever busy! I like the sound of the coasters, I'm off to check them out a little closer, now... :o)

1:29 PM  
Blogger Donna M said...

The coasters are really nice, as is all of your knitting of course.

Really glad to hear that the food banks benefited from T's accident!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Frieda said...

All the knits are beautiful , don't know where you find the time !

Happy that at least something positive came out of this . Keeping up good thoughts that all the insurance and paperwork gets done quickly so that things can start getting back to normal .

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home