Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year!

Pumba sends out his Happy New Years to everyone, too. He is such a character. He really thinks he's people.

Woke up this morning to snow, and it has been snowing ever since. Maggie loves it. Here she is trying to catch the falling flakes.

By the sounds of it 2010 is off to a very white start. Here's our forecast from the government weather site:
Issued : 4.00 PM AST Friday 1 January 2010
Winter storm warning in effect
Storm surge warning in effect.

Tonight
Periods of snow ending this evening then cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind becoming northeast 20 km/h after midnight. Temperature steady near minus 3.

Saturday

Periods of light snow becoming at times heavy in the afternoon. Snow and blowing snow. Risk of freezing rain late in the day. Snowfall amount 5 to 10 cm. Wind northeast 20 km/h increasing to 40 gusting to 60 in the afternoon. High plus 1.

Saturday night
Snow at times heavy changing to rain or periods of drizzle late in the evening. Snowfall amount 10 to 20 cm. Rainfall amount 5 to 10 mm. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 60 increasing to 60 gusting to 90 late in the evening then becoming east 40 gusting to 60 overnight. Temperature rising to plus 4 by morning.

Sunday
Periods of rain. High plus 2.

Monday
Snow or rain. Low minus 1. High plus 1.

Lovely, eh?

The other day we went to Bridgewater, and I spied some bargain yarn at the end of one of the aisles in Zellers. I know some of my fellow Knit Niters have found real bargains here, though whenever I get there it just seems to be acrylic and novelty crap yarns. I did finally find some stuff that wasn't too bad. There are four skeins per bag, 115g each. These two bags are the same kind just different colorways. It's 70% acrylic, 30% wool, machine wash and dry. It is spun like Patons SWS only not so thick. The orange caught my eye, must have for me. I am thinking of doing a scarf for me and one for a gift for someone or possibly a scarf/hat/mitts set for me. The beige colorway will either be two gift scarves for Christmas next year or a scarf/hat/mitt set. There was another bag that had 10 smaller skeins of white cotton/acrylic blend yarn and some others that were acrylic/wool blends, but I tamed myself to just the two bags.
I haven't sat down to add up my FOs of 2009 yet. The Oldest One is hovering for the computer, so I'll do that another time. Got to get back to sewing. I am NOT very good when it comes to sewing. Of course, the boys each got six new and much needed pairs of pants for Christmas, and they all have to be hemmed. I got the Littlest One's done this afternoon, now I have to do the Oldest One's. Hope no one looks too closely at the hemlines -- they'd get a good chuckle!

Happy Knitting!

6 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

Haha, Pumba looks like he's thinking "you may scratch my belly". I'm with Maggie, spent a lot of time in the backyard today, frolicking in the fluffy snow. :o)
This orange yarn would have caught my eye too, looks lovely. I rarely buy acrylic yarn nowadays, but I think acrylic/wool blend is not so bad. I hope my daughter can get back from NYC to Halifax on Jan. 5th without problems. Hope until then the bad weather will have cleared up.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Wanderingcatstudio said...

Pumba is beautiful - and he's just making sure you know it!

Great yarn - I'm not a huge orange fan, but that one is nice!

Enjoy the snow - it rained here last night, and then it got cold again today with just a little more snow.. probably not even an inch. But I'm better we get nailed in February!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Donna M said...

Pumba is a riot! Too cute!

Glad to hear you scored a yarn bargain! Always great when that happens.

It is still snowing out. John is out with his horrid cold snow blowing and I will soon have to go out and take a turn!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Happy New Year to you and Pumba too.
You have to love the east coast for those winter storms.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Happy New Year!
I'm so happy that the snow has stopped. Now for my brother to get here.
Kids are hoping for a snow day tomorrow.
I like the yarn you got. At the Zellers in Yarmouth we got a kit to make a pair of felted elf boot candy holders for $2. They had other kits there ... but I wasn't thinking to pick up more of them!

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will be great to watch A Steady Rain, i have bought tickets from
http://ticketfront.com/event/A_Steady_Rain-tickets looking forward to it.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home